Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Most Disappointing Time

If there was a theme for Oct. 4, 2015 it would be: Disappointment

I just learned that a week worth of preparation and two hours of recording time at WJR doing our show (The Internet Advisor) were absolutely for nothing.  Incredibly both the recording of our show and even more amazingly, the standard backup recording of all airplay on WJR were LOST!  The system simply failed to work and either destroyed or never recorded all that lovely conversation and work that went into that show including an excellent interview with an authority on searching in California.

This was also the day that I installed El Capitan, the new OSX 10.11 operating system from Apple only to find that it completely disabled my recording software!  This required rolling back the system and restoring the previous OS which took approximately three hours.  A project that was supposed to be finished tonight will now be squeezed into tomorrow.

The final brick in the wall of disappointment is that I am not doing well physically.  My hemoglobin is falling through the floor and rather than improving during the last months of treatment, it has been deteriorating to around 8.3g/dL (your normal is between 12-14). My fatigue level is around 7 on a scale of 1-10 and I am either falling asleep constantly or feeling winded whenever I get up and try to walk around.  On Tuesday I see my oncologist to evaluate the treatment with this latest drug, kyprolis, (failed) and explore other treatment options possibly with a new doctor since my oncologist, Dr. Shurafa, has reduced his caseload to two days a week on his way to retirement.  I represent one of his "failures".

I could go through a litany of disappointing things about my body, mind and spirit that are frightening me as my body deteriorates.  The skin on my legs is mottled and blotchy because of constant swelling as my heart is less efficient moving fluid around my body.  Arms that once were taught with muscles are wrinkled and limp.  The mirror has become my enemy.

I promised that I would not pull punches from now on.  If anything, I want you to understand what is going on in the mind and spirit of those around you who appear weak or fragile.  For many of us it is an unfolding horror show that we watch helplessly from the sidelines all the while feeling no different inside than we did when we were 31.

So how do I deal with this?  I have found a soulmate in the psalms specifically Psalm 71.  Take time to read it and I hope you will see how honest it is in terms of describing what it is like to grow old, feel broken and persecuted and yet to remain hopeful.

Psalm 71 NIV

In you, Lord, I have taken refuge;
    let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me;
    turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge,
    to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
    for you are my rock and my fortress.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,
    from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel.
For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord,
    my confidence since my youth.
From birth I have relied on you;
    you brought me forth from my mother’s womb.
    I will ever praise you.
I have become a sign to many;
    you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
    declaring your splendor all day long.
Do not cast me away when I am old;
    do not forsake me when my strength is gone.

10 For my enemies speak against me;
    those who wait to kill me conspire together.
11 They say, “God has forsaken him;
    pursue him and seize him,
    for no one will rescue him.”
12 Do not be far from me, my God;
    come quickly, God, to help me.
13 May my accusers perish in shame;
    may those who want to harm me
    be covered with scorn and disgrace.
14 As for me, I will always have hope;
    I will praise you more and more.
15 My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds,
    of your saving acts all day long—
    though I know not how to relate them all.
16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;
    I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.
17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
    and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
    do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
    your mighty acts to all who are to come.
19 Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens,
    you who have done great things.
    Who is like you, God?
20 Though you have made me see troubles,
    many and bitter,
    you will restore my life again;

from the depths of the earth
    you will again bring me up.
21 You will increase my honor
    and comfort me once more.
22 I will praise you with the harp
    for your faithfulness, my God;
I will sing praise to you with the lyre,
    Holy One of Israel.
23 My lips will shout for joy
    when I sing praise to you—
    I whom you have delivered.
24 My tongue will tell of your righteous acts
    all day long,
for those who wanted to harm me
    have been put to shame and confusion.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Foster. My prayers are for you this morning. Been there in my own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Brother. With tears in my eyes I pray to our Father that he remove this from your body. I ask all who may read this to pray for Foster. You know I am here if you need anything at all. God Loves you and so do I.....Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Brother. With tears in my eyes I pray to our Father that he remove this from your body. I ask all who may read this to pray for Foster. You know I am here if you need anything at all. God Loves you and so do I.....Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sv_876eqxg


    Even When it Hurts by Hillsong
    This song reminds me of YOU (and others that are struggling with life threatening trials)… and your response to the journey you've been on… You are touching so many lives with your faith… To God be the Glory!
    As I pray for you I will be praising Him along side of you and Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our God is faithful and Just.We will bless His name at all times and His praises shall continually be in our mouth.Press on good and faithful servant.Press toward the prize of the high calling in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.Amen.

    ReplyDelete